Friday, August 6, 2010

Amniocentesis

After the extensive u/s was performed, I was told that they needed to do an amniocentesis to get the baby's chromosome tested for anything other conditions related to missing or extra chromosomes. I refused an amnio in the past, and the doctor could tell I was concerned about having thing done. He mentioned to us that the risk of having a miscarriage is lower than his chances of survival so I might as well do it. Looks like I had no choice. The doctor performed the amnio, which was absolutely uncomfortable. We were told the amniotic fluid would be federally expressed to New Mexico for testing and that we would have the first set of results in 48 hrs.

Sure enough! The genetic counselor called me on friday, July 30th and said that results are good news and chromosome 13, 18 and 21 were tested first and they came back great! Nothing missing, and no extras! We were so relieved to find out some sort of good news after the devastating news we received days before.

No comments:

Post a Comment