Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Hemi-Fontan Date

After Daylen was transferred to the PICU from his heart cath, he did quite well until night time when he needed oxygen. His oxygen-saturation levels kept dropping to the 30's and 40's after he became fussy. They were maintaining in the mid 60's all night until morning time when they were back up to mid 70's. I can't really say I was too worried about him as much as the nurses were because to me he seemed normal. As his mom of 3 months now, this fussiness is normal and he's always breathing fine to me. Never seemed short of breath, never looked blue, and his nails have always looked fine. I was worried they wouldn't let us take him home the next day like planned, especially after the nurses called in the cardiologist to come take a look at him. It really frustrates me how they track the SAT levels with these probes that are kept on by bandage. It just seems like it's never in the "right" place and his sat's are always all over the place unless he's sleeping. It worried me though because his first surgery at 1 week old came unexpectedly when his saturation levels had dropped to the 40's and they decided immediate surgery for a central shunt was best.

Other than that, he did good. He at well, not the full amount he usually ate, but there was no vomitting. He currently weighs 11 lbs and 6 oz so he's almost to the 12 lb mark that they want him at for the hemi-fontan.

His hemi fontan is scheduled for March 22 around 7:30 am. He is the first case so we won't be waiting on anyone else's surgery that day. The next 6 weeks are going to be tough for me. I don't want to hand him over so they can cut open my lil boy and mess with his lil precious tiny heart, but if i wouldn't be good for him either. :( I can just hope for the best and hope that he pulls through!

Love him!


  1. I'm glad everything worked out with the cath and you all finally got out of there. I know how scary a looming surgery is- Aly's is March 16. :( Our kids will do just fine and amaze us with how quickly they recover and are back to their old self!! Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers!

  2. I am so glad you were able to get out and no one panicked too much about the sats. 6 weeks will seem to fly by and then you will be back in again. I remember the wait and the anticipation and definitely the handing over for Hope's Glenn...the emotions are still raw 10 months later. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.